This tasty side dish takes less than 15-20 minutes to prepare. It is a perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken, fish or a pork chop. So, to prepare the gratin, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 kg zucchini and eggplant
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 100g of cheese
- 500ml of milk
- 60g of butter
- 1tablespoon of flour
- nutmeg, pepper, salt
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Take zucchini, cut off the ends and slice into rounds, about 1/4 inch thick. Do the same with the eggplants.
2) Pour a bit of olive oil into the bottom of a baking sheet, arrange the zucchini and eggplant slices in neat rows, slightly overlapping each other.
3) Sprinkle with salt, pepper and chopped herbs.
4) Next slice tomatoes and top the zucchini and eggplants.
5) Now it’s high time to prepare the basic béchamel sauce. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until mixture is smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 12 minutes or until sauce comes to the boil, thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat. Stir in salt and nutmeg.
6) Pour the sauce over the tomatoes and sprinkle with grated cheese.
7) Then goes another layer of zucchini and eggplant, and grated cheese on top.
8) Bake the gratin for about 50-60 minutes, until it is bubbly and hot, or until the edges are slightly browned. Serve hot.